Further Aid for Companies and the Self-Employed
- The Government is giving EUR 61 million per month to finance wages in sectors that were hard hit by Covid-19, including:
- Certain Retail Outlets
- Travel Agencies
- Transport Operators
- A further EUR 10.5 million will also be forked out to sustain workers forced to take leave
- The improved package will mean that the government will finance a five-day work week capped at EUR 800 per month for all workers and self-employed in the above-mentioned critical sectors.
- Where the wage is in excess of €800 per month, the employers have agreed to top up the pay by €400 per employee per month. Nothing prohibits employers from paying more than the agreed minimum top-up, particularly when the salary is in excess of €1,200. In the event that businesses would not be in a position to finance the €400 top-up, the Prime Minister appealed for a case-by-case solution based on a discussion among all parties concerned, including the Department of Industrial and Employment Relations
- On the other hand, Part-time employees also benefit at a reduced EUR 500 per month.
- Enterprises in other adversely affected sectors, including wholesale, manufacturing and warehousing will be entitled to one day’s salary per week, equivalent to €160 per month. Part-time employees will be eligible to one day’s salary per week, equivalent to €100 per month.
- Gozo-based enterprises in other adversely affected sectors, the entitlement will be two days’ salary per week equivalent to €320 per month for full-time employees, whilst for part-time employees, the entitlement will be €200 monthly
- Self-employed operating their own business pertaining to adversely affected sectors will be entitled to 2 days’ salary per week, equivalent to €320 per month.
- Self-employed individuals based in Gozo and operating in adversely affected sectors are entitled to 2 days’ salary per week equivalent to €320 per month. This will increase to 3 days salary, equivalent to €480, for those self-employed who employ staff, and the employees will be entitled to two days’ salary per week.
All applications for the above measures will be issued next week.
For more information on how your firm can benefit from the above measures kindly contact our Tax Director, Kristine Attard, on email@example.com